Stories of creativity

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but in some ways, I'm a Jill of all trades when it comes to making things. I don't consider myself an artist, or really an expert in any one technique, but I've dabbled in and gotten enamored by most of them. So when a newsletter from Lion Brand Yarn "binged" in my e-mail box today. I had to pass along something that actually gave me a pleasant shiver.

Lion Brand Yarns has a collection of reader stories on their Web site--the one referenced in the newsletter that spoke to me today was actually called Sisterhood of the Needle. Even if you aren't a knitter or crocheter, these stories tap into that creative spirit and energy--the idea of sharing our passion for creating with someone else or how it has changed our lives. Whether it's knitting, beading, sewing, stamping, scrapbooking, decorating, shopping, or whatever brings you joy, this sisterhood is always willing to offer opinions, lend a hand, or just chat about our experience with a given technique and feel better for it.

On a trip to Florida a few years back, I was sewing the binding on a quilt that I was giving to the recipient once my plane landed. (Nothing like "just in time" quilting; surely none of you are such procrastinators!) As I worked on the project, women (and men) in nearby seats asked me about the project, inquired about my progress, and basically cheered me on. A there-and-back-in-a-day flight later that year found me toting no suitcase (why bother) just a large bag with yarn, needles, and hooks to make some scarves for Christmas gifts. Again, I found fellow passengers stopping by, sharing stories, and inquiring about my unconventional traveling supplies. I like to think that sharing such experiences with others encouraged them to start a new project as much as I enjoyed the stories of their experiences and the inspiration to try something different. Do you have stories to share? Post a comment below.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but will be moderated. Thanks for commenting! I love feedback!