Deep Purple quilt from Sept. 1999 issue


Sometimes you mess up. There's no excuse for it, there's no fixing it, and there's no way to ask for forgiveness. This quilt would be the example I keep with me as my mess-up. I tried a new technique with this quilt and every time I look at it, I think "wow, I did not do a good job on this one." I used that flip technique where you cut blocks, sew diagonally across the block, then flip the triangle back. I had a lot to learn, and accuracy was one of them. Even now, I feel like I should go back and fix things, both on the quilt and somehow in my reputation, but both things would be virtually impossible. I've thought about adding a lot of quilting to it to secure the not-well-secured blocks, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

But that being said, I still love the colors and fabrics in this one. It still screams "Florida" to me. The deep teals, greens, and purples offset the very light, sweepy patterned background and the spiral-y darker border fabrics. So despite my disappointment in the execution, I still love this design. And I'm proud that it appeared in the September 1999 issue of McCall's Quilting Quick Quilts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but will be moderated. Thanks for commenting! I love feedback!