Snowy Nights Quilt


As I look back on my quilt projects, some hold more meaning than others. As it turns out, one of the quilts that I no longer have is probably the one that means the most. The Snowy Night quilt appeared in the Winter 98/99 issue of McCall's Quilting's Quick Quilts. My dear friend Shirley was battling cancer, so I made Snowy Nights for her because she loved Christmas. When I got the quilt back, I sent it to her. She had it for the last few weeks of her life. She passed away around Thanksgiving of 1998. This time of year always reminds me to be thankful for the blessings in my life, the people in my life, and the memories of friends from my past.

When we moved from Springdale to Rogers, Ark., my ex, a DJ, must have mentioned it on the radio. One of his loyal listeners somehow realized we'd moved into her neighborhood. Next thing I know, we're over there hanging out with Shirley, her hubby, and their sons. They were so good to us--we were so blessed to have friends like them. Shirley found out she had cancer about the same time we moved to Florida, and I regret that I wasn't around to give her and her family support and assistance during their very challenging struggle. But in a phone conversation with her while I was working on this quilt, I promised it to her. Her husband told me she had it with her while she rested on the couch and kept it with her much of the time, and that always brought me some comfort.

At this time of Thanksgiving, I give thanks for all of the blessings I have and I send prayers to friends and family near and far. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!!

Vikram Ambrose said...

Just thought I'd say how much I like your blog theme. It really looks cozy.

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but will be moderated. Thanks for commenting! I love feedback!